Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Robert Kresin in Childcraft

A big part of what I hope to accomplish with Today's Inspiration is to showcase not just the celebrated illustrators of the 50's -- but those who are virtually unknown as well. For example, Robert Kresin.


I've never seen Kresin's work before, but he appears throughout these many volumes of the Childcraft series. Kresin was proficient in any number of styles... these are only a small example of his versatility.


I have a real fondness for illustrators who work in a great variety of styles - which might explain, at least in part, why I'm drawn to Kresin's illustrations. I get the sense that he was an artist who enjoyed trying new things... and the quality of every one of his pieces speaks to the underlying skill he had, no matter what surface technique he employed.


While there is really no information about Kresin on the internet, I suspect he was a Chicago area illustrator. The Childcraft books were published by Field Enterprises, a Chicago publisher, and a great many of the illustrations and photos throughout the set are credited to Chicago art studios.

* You'll find these a few more pieces by the artist in my Robert Kresin Flickr set. His zig-zaggy line style is particularly nice when seen at full size.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this article on Bob Kresin. I have a signed watercolor of his called "Paris, France" dated 1950 that was sold to my father probably at about that time. I'd never heard of Kresin and found your blog telling me about him. I suspect you are right he worked in Chicago, as my father worked for a Chicago advertising company and may have known him personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi Woods10:42 PM

    Bob Kresin was my father's best friend. They traveled through Europe and the United States painting. They were both commercial illustrators in Chicago and worked together for many years. My mother has several of Bob's paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving a comment, Heidi. I'm always interested in hearing about the Chicago commercial art business of that period. If you're interested in sharing some examples of your dad's work and some recollections from his career, please email me at the address you'll find at leifpeng.com Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Was researching Robert Kresin and came upon your post. I have a piece of his, "Evolution of Communication", which was made for my father's company..have alway been curious about the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked at Robert Snyder and Associates in Chicago, while Bob Kresin was working there. I have some copies of his work from when he took a trip to Japan. I always admired his work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robert Kresin was my great uncle. Though I never met him, his work is slightly scattered through the houses of my aunt and uncle. I wish I were able to obtain more of his prints, he was extremely, rawly talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also he was known to my family as Uncle Bud, it was interesting to see him referred to as Bob.

      Delete
  6. I too have been looking for more info about Mr Kresin as I bought two oils (in the Phoenix area) painted in Spain by the artist. They are among my favorite pieces of art. What a legacy he created that his work is being talked about and enjoyed around the world!

    ReplyDelete