Friday, November 03, 2006

Gustav "Scary" Rehberger

Here's one more scary picture by Gustav Rehberger to finish off the week.There's a biography on Rehberger at AskArt.com, from which I excerpted this info:

[Gustav Rehberger] was born in Riedlingsdorf, Austria and showed early art talent. When he was age 13, he emigrated to Chicago with his family, and the next year won a scholarship to the Art Institute of Chicago.

From that time, he continued to win competitions, but had to refuse two college scholarships because of the need to help support his family during the Depression. He took commercial artwork employment including graphic design, industrial design, illustration and some sculpture.

During World War II, he served in the United States Air Force and then established a studio in Carnegie Hall in New York City. He taught portrait painting, composition, figure drawing and figure painting at the Art Students League. Emphasizing the importance of education, he said: . . ."worthwhile art is never achieved by mere accident."


To which I would add, Rehberger (1910-1995) was a frequent contributor to many publications, including Coronet, Esquire, and Everywoman magazine.

More examples of his work in my Gustav Rehberger Flickr set.

4 comments:

  1. What a rare opportunity you had, Brian - thanks for providing some first hand insight on Rehberger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:27 AM

    I studied with Rehberger from 1977 while I was in jr highschool. I was in and out of his class until his passing in 1995. he was the best teacher I ever had. A wonderful man. I was always zipping around on a track bike. He would always doodle some thing on the side of my drwaings. I still have a few gems.

    He was always telling very corny joles while doing very serious figure drawings.
    Yes, a mad and very wonderful scientist.

    -Gail the mad bike rider

    ReplyDelete
  3. gail; I will be doing an entire week on Gustav Rehberger some time soon. I hope you'll drop by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie Scotti1:58 PM

    I studied with Gustav Rehberger in the early 1990's. I was always amazed to witness his skill first hand. A very funny and kind man, I was incredibly saddened when went to register for one of classes in 1995 and was told that he had passed. He left me with a very special memory.

    ReplyDelete