Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Easter Bunny Came!

He brought me some real treats, too! Now wait, if you're imagining a fluffy white rabbit with a basket of chocolate eggs, stop for a minute.


My Easter bunny wears glasses and a tie (and smokes a pipe)... what?!? you say, that's absurd? Go take a look at Ken Steacy and imagine a bunch of fantastic old illustrations arriving via your email from him and you'll get the idea. Ken generously contributed these awesome visuals by Noel Sickles and Fred Freeman out of the blue the other day. What an amazingly tasty Easter treat - and less fattening!


Be sure to spend a little time perusing his wares and maybe treat yourself to one of his fantastic collections of illustrative confections. Happy Easter!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:13 AM

    Hi Leif,

    Thanks to you and my pal Ken for this great post. I hadn't seen the Noel Sickles Life spreads before but they immediatley looked very familiar. It appears clear that this was the direct influence for Wally Wood's "Is a Trip to the Moon Possible?" Mad parody from soon after. Keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Glen - I wasn't aware of the Wally Wood Mad parody but I sure did see the similarity to Wood's space scenes in general. If only we could know who influenced whom...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leif, now I'm going to have to start checking TI on weekends too! When will it ever end?

    Noel Sickles is about as close as I've seen to a natural born, god given draftsman-- he did absolutely beautiful work from the very beginning (his locomotive drawing in your Flickr set-- number .08-- is simply stunning).

    I have had the privilege of seeing these space drawings up close. Illustration House in New York was selling them many years ago. I did not have two nickels to rub together back them, but I thought long and hard about robbing a bank just to get these pictures. The Life magazine reproduction diminishes the originals in unforgivable ways. These are really first class drawings! Thanks, Leif!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - what a thrill it must have been to see those pieces in person, David!

    My thanks once again to Ken for sharing them with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That darn Ken, he's a great guy. I am looking forward to hosting him again and staying up late talking. I hope he brings me some illustrated goodies too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking forward to a visit from Ken this summer, Stan - should be quite the experience!

    ReplyDelete